"Bob Blick" Propeller Clock
Sunday, March 11, 2001 - Day 5
Now it was tweaking time. We had a lot of work to do. The entire thing was intolerably
off balance and we did not have a way to hold it down. First, to balance it, we put a
string through the circuit board through the hole where it screws to the motor and let
it hang. We adjust the weight distribution by adding nuts to screws until it was
balanced. We had incredible results after doing this. It no longer shook violently and
now could be run without even holding it. After that, we mounted the PVC pipe the motor
was in to a round board and set this board on some pink egg-carton to reduce vibration.
Since the LED's were not very bright in the light, we took some pictures in the dark with
an extended shutter speed to capture more light.
The blue LED's look awesome.
Using the same shutter speed but with a flash, we were able to take some pictures in the
dark that allowed you to see the device as well. These pictures are awesome because you
can see the clock display floating in mid-air while the LED's are on the opposite side
of the rotation.
This is basically where we stopped. The only other thing we did was get another board and place the round board on top of it separated by the pink egg-carton material. This pulled the two together with three springs around the circular board for some suspension.