"Bob Blick" Propeller Clock
Saturday, February 17, 2001 - Day 2
We decided to go with an epoxy instead of the JB Weld for the spacer. After it dried,
we soldered the three wires to terminals on the motor's commutator. The commutator has
7 terminals, and we have 3 wires, so symmetry is not possible. The website advised that
best performance will be with two of the wires on adjacent terminals, and the third wire
on the opposite side and to not disturb the existing motor wires.
We used another piece of wire to tie the wires down so that would not come out or flap around when the motor was spinning. The website also suggested dental floss or string.
After we got the motor together, it looked something like:
We then put some epoxy around the top bearing to make it hold tight against the casing (the hole we drilled) and set it up to dry.
Next, we worked on the circuit. The circuit can be found on
Bob Blick's webpage.
We decided to solder everything to a circuit board and then cut around it. We got the
socket the PIC microcontroller sits in and most of the resistors soldered in. We also
put the three buttons to set the time in. This is Shaun with what we had at the end
of day 2:
It doesn't look like much, but it is a start.